Monday, March 12, 2012

Hurricane Category 5 kayak Review

I just bought a Hurricane Category 5 (Cat 5) kayak for use in some River triathlons. We had our first free warm weekend and I decided to go take it for a spin on Lake Moomaw. First, I'm going to start off with the disclaimer that I have only being rowing at the Y and that kayaking is a much different monster. As you can see from the picture, it was a very calm day with good water conditions. I paddled out 1 mile and back a mile and averaged 11 min mile which works out to be 5.5mph. I was not paddling hard nor am I in killer kayak shape but I will say that it is going to take exponential power to move it beyond this speed. I have not tested the kayak on a long distance or a river test. The kayak is 15 feet long and turns with little ease. I did not notice it weather cocking in the small amount of wind that I experienced. My comparison is my old kayak, the Venture kayaks Easky 17. The Cat 5 turns more easily, tracks straighter and is much lighter. which makes handling a breeze. I am going to take it on a few more spins before I pass final judgement but I am pleased with what I have witnessed so far. I'll post another review after several of my races. Visit http://hurricaneaquasports.com/index-welcome.html for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment